Scientific publications in worldwide recognized journals are a measure of research activity. The level of activity of scientists or research centers can be verified in scientific databases such as Web of Science, Scopus, or Google Scholar. The browsers allow checking the number of publications on a given topic (in a keyword form) published by the author and determine the author’s position in relation to other scientists publishing in the same field. The analysis of prof. Henryk Skarżyński’s scientific output in a Web of Science produces impressive results.
According to the data accessed on March 2021, prof. Skarżyński was a global leader on a list of scientists conducting research in the field of partial deafness – he has published the largest number of papers on that subject. Analysis of the world’s scientific literature for keywords such as the round window, hearing screening, hearing, cochlear implantation, or electro-acoustic hearing show that prof. Henryk Skarżyński is placed in the first ten of scientists – authors of research papers in these subject areas.
Below, we present a detailed analysis of prof. Henryk Skarżyński’s scientific output (March 2021) based on the Web of Science:
- Position no 1 worldwide for the keyword partial deafness – 650 research papers
- Position no 2 for the keyword round window (surgical access in Skarżyński’s method) in a group of 1717 papers
- Position no 5 for the keyword hearing screening (screening and early detection of hearing loss) in a group of 86500 papers
- Position no 9 for the keyword hearing (hearing diagnostics and treatment) in a group of 158427 papers
- Position no 9 for the keyword cochlear implantation – 7857 papers
- Position no 10 for the keyword electro-acoustic hearing – 735 papers
- Position no 11 for the keyword high-frequency hearing loss – 5977 papers
- Position no 11 for the keyword hearing preservation – 3579 papers
- Position no 22 for the keyword hearing loss in a group of 56261 papers
- Position no 28 for the keyword cochlear implant – 15815 papers
- Position no 45 for the keyword tinnitus – 11082 papers
It is worth reminding that the Web of Science is a package of bibliometric and abstracting databases issued by Clarivate Analytics. The database was created based on the list of scientific journals created by the Institute for Scientific Information (ISI) – ISI Highly Cited, known in Poland as the “Philadelphia list.” The journals from the list were considered the most important for global science. The database is made available to all academic and research institutions in Poland by the Ministry of Science and Higher Education.